Tuesday, October 14, 2008

October 14 in Room 11

  • We began writing Halloween "What am I?" riddles. They are fun to guess.
  • In math we are reading and writing story problems. The story problem is on of the most difficult concepts to understand and compute in all of elementary math.
  • Free time today! Hard won and much appreciated.
  • This morning Dylan complained to Mrs. Craig that the other classes were all getting Halloween parties. When she informed him that our class would also be having one, but not until Halloween, (which, in fact, is still two weeks away) he was delighted. I received this note on my desk his afternoon: "We ar haven a hawlwen party on the 31 on hawlwen. Dylan" Duly noted. Thanks for the reminder, Dylan.
  • I am pleased that Dylan wrote this note. Not only did I receive a reminder, but I have evidence that Dylan knows how powerful writing can be, even if all the words are not spelled exactly right. We call this "Kidspell' and it is appropriate to use when you are learning.
  • I also have a lovely card from Kelsey, with labeled drawings and the alphabet song written inside. Pictured on the outside are a duck, a black cloud pouring rain, and a smiling calico cat sniffing a handful of catnip offered by its master. It's a reminder for me: No matter how wet and dreary it is outside, we can still smile at the catnip we get from others. Thank-you, Kelsey.

No comments: